- May 2022: Jennifer Sikos, Sebastian Padó and I got a LiLT journal article accepted.
- April 2022: We got one paper accepted at LREC and one accepted at SemEval.
- December 2021: I was selected a top-15% candidate for the Hector RCD Award.
- November 2021: The 2nd UnImplicit workshop will take place at NAACL-HLT 2022!
- September 2021:
- August 2021:
- The proceedings of our UnImplicit workshop are now available here.
- We also got one paper rejected at EMNLP.
- May 2021: Our shared task proposal has been accepted at SemEval 2022!
- April 2021:
- March 2021: I am an area chair at EMNLP 2021. Please consider submitting!
- February 2021: We are in the process of organizing a shared task. More info here.
- January 2021: Alok Debnath and I got a paper accepted at the EACL-SRW!
- November 2020: Our workshop proposal got accepted for ACL. More info here.
- October 2020: Tatiana Anikina, Alexander Koller and I got a workshop paper accepted!
- September 2020: We received a couple of notifications regarding submitted papers:
- July 2020: I am an area chair at EACL 2021. Please consider submitting!
- June 2020: Former student Simon Ostermann's PhD thesis is now availabe here.
- Spring 2020: I am an area chair at CoNLL, AACL-IJCNLP and EMNLP 2020.
- April 2020: Our paper submission to ACL 2020 got rejected.
- March 2020: I am part of the Steering Committee for SemEval 2021.
- February 2020: Our paper on edits in wikiHow has been accepted at LREC!
- February 2020: I am a standing reviewer for Computational Linguistics.
Since March 2019, I am leading a DFG Emmy Noether research group at the IMS. I am also associated with the SFB 1102 at Saarland University. Previously, I worked as a postdoctoral researcher with Prof. Manfred Pinkal and as a DFG research fellow with Prof. Mirella Lapata and Prof. Dan Roth.
The overarching goal of my research is to develop models of linguistic meaning that enable automatic text comprehension beyond the sentence level. My recent work has focused on modeling potential causes of misunderstanding, script knowledge, and lexical/role semantic meaning in discourse context.
I received a Ph.D. degree in Computational Linguistics from Heidelberg University and a M.Sc. in Language Science and Technology from Saarland University. After my Ph.D., I held research positions at Stuttgart University, the University of Edinburgh, and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Sikos, J., Roth, M., & Padó, S. (2022). Improving Multilingual Frame Identification by Estimating Frame Transferability. In Linguistic Issues in Language Technology.
- Anthonio, T., Sauer, A., & Roth, M. (2022). Clarifying Implicit and Underspecified Phrases in Instructional Text. Proceedings of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, 3319--3330. https://aclanthology.org/2022.lrec-1.354
- Roth, M., Anthonio, T., & Sauer, A. (2022). SemEval-2022 Task 7: Identifying Plausible Clarifications of Implicit and Underspecified Phrases in Instructional Texts. Proceedings of the 16th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval-2022).
- Anthonio, T., & Roth, M. (2021). Resolving Implicit References in Instructional Texts. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Computational Approaches to Discourse, 58--71. https://aclanthology.org/2021.codi-main.6
- Roth, M., & Anthonio, T. (2021). UnImplicit Shared Task Report: Detecting Clarification Requirements in Instructional Text. Proceedings of the 1st Workshop on Understanding Implicit and Underspecified Language, 28--32. https://aclanthology.org/2021.unimplicit-1.4
- Debnath, A., & Roth, M. (2021). A Computational Analysis of Vagueness in Revisions of Instructional Texts. Proceedings of the 16th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Student Research Workshop, 30--35. https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2021.eacl-srw.5
- Anikina, T., Koller, A., & Roth, M. (2020). Predicting Coreference in Abstract Meaning Representations. Proceedings of the Third Workshop on Computational Models of Reference, Anaphora and Coreference, 33--38. https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.crac-1.4
- Anthonio, T., & Roth, M. (2020). What Can We Learn from Noun Substitutions in Revision Histories? Proceedings of the 28th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, 1359--1370. https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.coling-main.117
- Bhat, I., Anthonio, T., & Roth, M. (2020). Towards Modeling Revision Requirements in wikiHow Instructions. Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), 8407--8414. https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.emnlp-main.675
- Anthonio, T., Bhat, I., & Roth, M. (2020). wikiHowToImprove: A Resource and Analyses on Edits in Instructional Texts. Proceedings of the 12th Language Resources and Evaluation Conference, 5721--5729. https://www.aclweb.org/anthology/2020.lrec-1.702
- Wanzare, L. D. A., Roth, M., & Pinkal, M. (2019). Detecting Everyday Scenarios in Narrative Texts. Proceedings of the Second Workshop on Storytelling, 90--106. https://doi.org/10.18653/v1/W19-3410
- Ostermann, S., Roth, M., & Pinkal, M. (2019). MCScript2.0: A Machine Comprehension Corpus Focused on Script Events and Participants. Proceedings of the Eighth Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM 2019), 103--117. https://doi.org/10.18653/v1/S19-1012
- Ostermann, S., Zhang, S., Roth, M., & Clark, P. (2019). Commonsense Inference in Natural Language Processing (COIN) - Shared Task Report. Proceedings of the First Workshop on Commonsense Inference in Natural Language Processing, 66--74. https://doi.org/10.18653/v1/D19-6007
- Roth, M., & Upadhyay, S. (2019). Combining Discourse Markers and Cross-lingual Embeddings for Synonym--Antonym Classification. Proceedings of the 2019 Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies, 3899--3905. https://doi.org/10.18653/v1/N19-1390
- Khashabi, D., Chaturvedi, S., Roth, M., Upadhyay, S., & Roth, D. (2018). Looking Beyond the Surface: A Challenge Set for Reading Comprehension over Multiple Sentences. Proceedings of the 16th Annual Conference of the North American Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics: Human Language Technologies (NAACL-HLT), 252--262. http://aclweb.org/anthology/N/N18/N18-1023.pdf
- Ostermann, S., Roth, M., Modi, A., Thater, S., & Pinkal, M. (2018). SemEval-2018 Task 11: Machine Comprehension Using Commonsense Knowledge. Proceedings of the 12th International Workshop on Semantic Evaluation (SemEval-2018), 747--757. http://aclweb.org/anthology/S/S18/S18-1119.pdf
- Kamper, H., & Roth, M. (2018). Visually Grounded Cross-lingual Keyword Spotting in Speech. The 6th International Workshop on Spoken Language Technologies for Under-Resourced Languages (SLTU 2018). https://www.isca-speech.org/archive/SLTU_2018/pdfs/Herman.pdf
- Ostermann, S., Modi, A., Roth, M., Thater, S., & Pinkal, M. (2018). MCScript: A Novel Dataset for Assessing Machine Comprehension Using Script Knowledge. Proceedings of the Eleventh International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC 2018), 3567--3574. http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2018/pdf/225.pdf
- Diamantopoulos, T. G., Roth, M., Symeonidis, A. L., & Klein, E. (2017). Software requirements as an application domain for natural language processing. Language Resources and Evaluation, 51(2), 495–524. http://dblp.uni-trier.de/db/journals/lre/lre51.html#DiamantopoulosR17
- Mostafazadeh, N., Roth, M., Louis, A., Chambers, N., & Allen, J. (2017). LSDSem 2017 Shared Task: The Story Cloze Test. Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Linking Models of Lexical, Sentential and Discourse-Level Semantics, 46--51. http://aclweb.org/anthology/W17-0906.pdf
- Roth, M. (2017). Role Semantics for Better Models of Implicit Discourse Relations. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS). http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W/W17/W17-6934.pdf
- Ostermann, S., Roth, M., Thater, S., & Pinkal, M. (2017). Aligning Script Events with Narrative Texts. Proceedings of the 6th Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM), 128--134. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/S17-1016.pdf
- Roth, M. (2016). Improving Frame Semantic Parsing via Dependency Path Embeddings. Book of Abstracts of the 9th International Conference on Construction Grammar, 165--167. http://www.ufjf.br/iccg9/files/2015/02/ICCG9_Book_of_Abstracts_v1.pdf#page=167
- Roth, M., & Lapata, M. (2016). Neural Semantic Role Labeling with Dependency Path Embeddings. Proceedings of the 54th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (Volume 1: Long Papers), 1192--1202. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/P16-1113
- Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2015). Inducing Implicit Arguments from Comparable Texts: A Framework and its Applications. Computational Linguistics, 41(4), 625--664. http://www.mitpressjournals.org/doi/full/10.1162/COLI_a_00236
- Roth, M., & Lapata, M. (2015). Context-aware Frame-Semantic Role Labeling. Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics (TACL), 3, 449--460. https://tacl2013.cs.columbia.edu/ojs/index.php/tacl/article/view/652
- Roth, M., & Klein, E. (2015). Parsing Software Requirements with an Ontology-based Semantic Role Labeler. Proceedings of the IWCS Workshop Language and Ontologies, 14--21. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W/W15/W15-0403.pdf
- Roth, M. (2014). Inducing Implicit Arguments via Cross-document Alignment: A Framework and its Applications [Heidelberg University, Germany]. http://www.ub.uni-heidelberg.de/archiv/17050
- Roth, M., & Woodsend, K. (2014). Composition of Word Representations Improves Semantic Role Labelling. Proceedings of the 2014 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), 407--413. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/D14-1045.pdf
- Roth, M., & Schulte im Walde, S. (2014). Combining Word Patterns and Discourse Markers for Paradigmatic Relation Classification. Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL), Volume 2, 524--530. http://aclweb.org/anthology//P/P14/P14-2086.pdf
- Roth, M., Diamantopoulos, T., Klein, E., & Symeonidis, A. (2014). Software Requirements: A New Domain For Semantic Parsers. Proceedings of the ACL 2014 Workshop on Semantic Parsing (SP14), 50--54. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W14-2410.pdf
- Moor, T., Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2013). Predicate-specific Annotations for Implicit Role Binding: Corpus Annotation, Data Analysis and Evaluation Experiments. Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computational Semantics (IWCS), 369--375. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/W13-0211.pdf
- Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2013). Automatically Identifying Implicit Arguments to Improve Argument Linking and Coherence Modeling. Proceedings of the Second Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM), 306--316. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/S13-1043.pdf
- Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2012). Aligning Predicate Argument Structures in Monolingual Comparable Texts: A new corpus for a new task. Proceedings of the First Joint Conference on Lexical and Computational Semantics (*SEM), 218--227. http://aclweb.org/anthology//S/S12/S12-1030.pdf
- Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2012). Aligning Predicates across Monolingual Comparable Texts using Graph-based Clustering. Proceedings of the 2012 Joint Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing and Computational Natural Language Learning (EMNLP), 171--182. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/D12-1016.pdf
- Schuldes, S., Boland, K., Roth, M., Strube, M., Kroemker, S., & Frank, A. (2011). Modeling Spatial Knowledge for Generating Verbal and Visual Route Directions. Proceedings of the 15th Annual KES Conference, Part IV, 366--377.
- Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2010). Computing EM-based Alignments of Routes and Route Directions as a Basis for Natural Language Generation. Proceedings of the 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), 958--966. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/C10-1108.pdf
- Roth, M., & Frank, A. (2009). A NLG-based Application for Walking Directions. Companion Volume to the Proceedings of the 47th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics and the 4th International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing of the Asian Federation of Natural Language Processing (ACL-IJCNLP), 37--40. http://aclweb.org/anthology/P/P09/P09-4010.pdf
- Schuldes, S., Roth, M., Frank, A., & Strube, M. (2009). Creating an Annotated Corpus for Generating Walking Directions. Proceedings of the ACL-IJCNLP’09 Workshop on Language Generation and Summarisation (UCNLG+Sum), 72--76. http://aclweb.org/anthology/W/W09/W09-2814.pdf
- Roth, M. (2008). Representing FrameNet in Semantic Spaces.
- Schulte im Walde, S., Melinger, A., Roth, M., & Weber, A. (2008). An Empirical Characterisation of Response Types in German Association Norms. In Research on Language and Computation (No. 2; Vol. 6, Issue 2, pp. 205–238).
- Mukherjee, S., Fradkin, D., & Roth, M. (2008). Classifying Spend Transactions with Off-the-Shelf Learning Components. Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Tools in Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI), 53--60.
- Pennacchiotti, M., Cao, D. D., Basili, R., Croce, D., & Roth, M. (2008). Automatic induction of FrameNet lexical units. Proceedings of the 2008 Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP), 457--465. http://www.aclweb.org/anthology/D/D08/D08-1048.pdf
- Roth, M., & Schulte im Walde, S. (2008). Corpus Co-Occurrence and Dictionary and Wikipedia Entries as Resources for Semantic Relatedness Information. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Language Resources and Evaluation (LREC), 1852--1859. http://www.lrec-conf.org/proceedings/lrec2008/pdf/473_paper.pdf