Steps for the Preparation of a Bachelor's or Master's Thesis
In the following, we describe the procedure for writing a Bachelor's thesis in the course of studies BSc Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung and a Master's thesis in the course of studies MSc Computational Linguistics.
If there are differences between these theses, this will be indicated in the respective sections.
You must register your Bachelor's thesis and Master's thesis at the examination office; this is possible at any time during the semester. Registration is done with a registration form, see website of the examination office. The form can be found on C@MPUS under All applications > My requests.
Please note: Theses have to be handed in within 6 months after registration -- this will be verified at submission.
- Confirm that you have reached the required number of ECTS credits. For this, approach the examination office, or print the document on C@MPUS ("My Application Forms")
- Get the examiner's signature for "confirmation of topic assignment"
(a signature of the head of the examination committee is not necessary)
- Get a seal and photocopy for the IMS at the secretary (Sabine Mohr; room 02.008)
- Submit and confirm the registration at the examination office
- For the Master's thesis, the examination office will register you for the "Research Module" automatically
- LaTeX minimal example to be used as template
(by Antje Schweitzer and Nils Reiter, no warranty, feedback welcome!)
- further useful resources and links for writing theses:
- ILIAS: Magazin -- Ingenieurwissenschaften -- Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung / Computational Linguistics -- Lehrveranstaltungen vergangener Semester -- Lehrveranstaltungen WS 16/17 -- Projekt + Projektseminar Maschinelle Sprachverarbeitung (NLP) WS 16/17
- Only for the Bachelor's thesis:
- According to PO 2009, the Bachelor's thesis can be written in German or English. If another language is chosen in consultation with the supervisor, the thesis must contain a summary in German as an appendix.
- According to PO 2017, the Bachelor's thesis will be written in German. If another language is chosen in consultation with the supervisor, the thesis must contain a summary in German as an appendix.
- Only for the Master's thesis:
- If the examiner / supervisor agrees, you can choose a different language. In this case, you need to include an English abstract in the appendix.
- Titlepage has to contain:
- name und address of the IMS
- title of the thesis
- name of author
- examiners (2 examiners for Master's theses; 1 of the examiners is the supervisor)
- date of beginning and end
All theses must include the following declaration (signed, stating location and date):
Hiermit erkläre ich, dass ich die vorliegende Arbeit selbstständig verfasst habe und dabei keine andere als die angegebene Literatur verwendet habe. Alle Zitate und sinngemäßen Entlehnungen sind als solche unter genauer Angabe der Quelle gekennzeichnet. Die eingereichte Arbeit ist weder vollständig noch in wesentlichen Teilen Gegenstand eines anderen Prüfungsverfahrens gewesen. Sie ist weder vollständig noch in Teilen bereits veröffentlicht. Die beigefügte elektronische Version stimmt mit dem Druckexemplar überein.
Only for the Master's thesis:
An English version can be added:
I declare that I have developed and written the enclosed thesis completely by myself and that I have not used sources or means without declaration in the text. Any thoughts from others or literal quotations are clearly marked. The thesis was not used in the same or in a similar version to achieve an academic grading or is being published elsewhere. The enclosed electronic version is identical to the printed versions.
Hand in the Bachelor's or Master's thesis in the secretary's office (Sabine Mohr; room 02.008);
Hand it in with a signed submission form (without the supervisor's signature; translation is available on demand: student counselling)
- Number of hard (paper) copies to be handed in:
(identical casebound versions, adhesive if possible, all with titlepage and signed declaration - original signature, no scan or copy)
- 1 for each examiner (2 examiners for Master's theses; 1 of the examiners may be supervisor)
- 1 for the archive (via secretary)
- regarding costs for printing: spiral binding and grayscale printing on normal paper are absolutely sufficient (but please format graphics in a way that the gray shades are distinct enough to be interpreted, or print individual pages in color).
In addition, a copy of the title page and an electronic version (CD only with thesis in PDF and abstract in TXT format; please adhere it into one copy) must be handed in to the secretary.
The grade of the Bachelor's or Master's thesis will be entered in C@MPUS by the examiner. In order to get your degree, you need to fill in the respective request form in the examination office. This can also be done when you submit the registration form.